Jerk seasoning is one of my favorites…I love the sweet heat flavor from meat that has been jerked to perfection. The versatility of this combination of herbs & spices leaves you wanting more. So, when I found myself out of balance last week…a reminder that I needed to spend some one on one time with God. I could not think of a better way to get back in balance than being in the kitchen creating deliciousness while spending time with my Creator. I guess you can say that I use cooking as a form of holistic therapy…cooking literally calms my spirit.
Now I had to decide what to cook…and seeing as how winters in the Mid-West can be brutally cold; I was craving food that would make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I wanted comfort food and nothing says comfort food for me like a pot of oxtail stew, with a twist of course.
So, I decided to use jerk seasoning to jerk these oxtails to perfection. I started this experience with a wet jerk paste, being very deliberate about massaging the paste into the meat. I added my favorite dry jerk seasoning from The Spice Lab, Inc. Again, paying special attention to the process. The oxtails marinated for 1 hour, they were eventually slow cooked for approximately 6 hours…the rest is history ya’ll.
I paired the Jerked to Perfection Oxtails with black beans & rice and stir-fried collard greens & cabbage mix. Talk about a spiritual experience…By the time dinner was served all was well with my soul and my taste buds were dancing with satisfaction!
My hope for humankind is to remain hopeful and to find ways to tap into your spirituality for direction and perspective. As for me, I’m gonna keep cooking and creating. I hope that you enjoy the jerked to perfection oxtails and don’t forget to subscribe.
- 8 Oxtails
- 4 Carrots – Cut in half
- 4 Small Red Potatoes – Each cut into 4 pieces
- ½ Cup Walkers Jerk Paste
- Jerk Spice to taste (I start out with 3 tablespoons)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 4 Cloves Garlic – Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger – Chopped
- 2 Yellow Onions – Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper – Sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper – Sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – Sliced
- Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 3 Cups White Rice – Cooked
- 1 Can Black Beans – Rinsed & Drained
- 1 Can Roasted Tomatoes – Diced
- ½ Cup Flour
- Cooking oil (Just enough to brown the oxtails)
Cooking Directions – Oxtails
- Clean oxtails and trim fat (leave some fat for added flavor)
- Generously coat each oxtail with Walkers Jerk Paste. Be very deliberate about rubbing paste into the meat.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Add Jerk spice from The Spice Lab Inc. Be sure to rub spices into the meat well.
- Allow to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Turn on your slow cooker to low.
- Coat oxtails lightly with flour.
- Brown oxtails on both sides.
- Place oxtails in slow cooker.
- Add half of the vegetables to slow cooker.
- Add beef or vegetable broth. (Enough to cover the oxtails)
- Allow to slow cook for 6 hours.
- Taste. Adjust jerk seasoning if needed.
- Add the other half of vegetables.
- Cook an additional hour in the slow cooker.
Cooking Directions – Black Beans & Rice
- In a saucepan, sauté and season the onions with cumin & coriander. Add black beans and mix well. Add roasted diced tomatoes and mix well.
In a pot, combine cooked rice with the black bean mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.